- Canvas account
- Published course in Canvas
- The DigiExam app installed for Canvas
Schedule an exam in Canvas
1. From the Canvas dashboard, select the course you would like to schedule an assessment or exam for (see figure 1).
2. In the left hand toolbar, click "Assignments" (see figure 2).
3. To assign a new assessment or exam, click "+Assignment" located in the top right-hand corner (see figure 3).
4. Give your new assignment a title (see figure 4).
5. Scroll down until you see the heading "Submission Type" about halfway down the page. Change the submission type to "External Tool" (see figure 5).
6. Now click on the "Find" button (see figure 6).
7. Select DigiExam, and the click the "Select" button (see figure 7).
8. Now you have two options:
- Select the "Create exam" button and be taken to the DigiExam web application, where you can create a new assessment for your students. (see figure 8)
- Locate an assessment that was previously created and is located in your DigiExam library. Click the green "Select" button to assign this assessment to your students. (see figure 8)
9. When you have selected an assessment you will see a message that gives you some helpful information regarding your exam:
- First, take note of the max points of your exam. You need to manually insert this into the "Points" field on the Canvas assignment in order for the student's score to be sent to your Canvas gradebook after you've finished grading.
- Second, it's recommended that you do not set a start and end time in your Canvas LMS. Students will not be able to see their results after the end time.
Once you have taken note of this information select the green "Confirm" button (see figure 9).
10. Make sure the URL field has now been filled. Then click the blue "Select" button (see figure 10).
Note that this link also contains the Exam ID for this specific exam. To find the Exam ID, copy the whole link and paste it in a text editor, the number in bold is the Exam ID:
11. Scroll up and locate the "Points" field. Enter in the maximum number of points for this exam that matches the max points from the DigiExam assessment (see figure 11).
12. Scroll back down and assign the exam to the correct group of students. If you don't specify a group, the exam will automatically be assigned to any student enrolled on the course. Finally, click the blue "Save" button (see figure 12).