- Canvas account
- Published course in Canvas
- The DigiExam app installed for Canvas
Schedule an exam in Canvas
1. From the Canvas dashboard, select the course you would like to schedule an assessment or exam for (figure 1).
2. In the left-hand toolbar, click Assignments (figure 2).
3. To assign a new assessment or exam, click +Assignment located in the top right-hand corner (figure 3).
4. Give your new assignment a title (figure 4).
5. Scroll down until you see the heading "Submission Type" about halfway down the page. Change the submission type to "External Tool" (figure 5).
6. Now click on the Find button (figure 6).
7. Select DigiExam, and the click the Select button (figure 7).
8. Now you have two options:
- Select the Create exam button and be taken to the DigiExam web application, where you can create a new assessment for your students. (figure 8)
- Locate an assessment that was previously created and is located in your DigiExam library. Click the green Select button to assign this assessment to your students. (figure 8)
9. When you have selected an assessment you will see a message that gives you some helpful information regarding your exam:
- First, take note of the max points of your exam. You need to manually insert this into the "Points" field on the Canvas assignment in order for the student's score to be sent to your Canvas grade book after you've finished grading.
- Second, it's recommended that you do not set a start and end time in your Canvas LMS. Students will not be able to see their results after the end time.
Once you have taken note of this information select the green Confirm button (figure 9).
10. Make sure the URL field has now been filled. Then click the blue Select button (figure 10).
Note that this link also contains the Exam ID for this specific exam. To find the Exam ID, copy the whole link and paste it in a text editor, the number in bold is the Exam ID:
11. Scroll up and locate the "Points" field. Enter the maximum number of points for this exam that matches the max points from the DigiExam assessment (figure 11).
12. Scroll back down and assign the exam to the correct group of students. If you don't specify a group, the exam will automatically be assigned to any student enrolled in the course. Finally, click the blue Save button (figure 12).