The open book mode offers students the option to complete their assessments within the DigiExam client while using other tools and applications simultaneously. Open book mode provides students with the opportunity to search for information, collaborate, or use special tools outside the client while completing their assessment or assignment.
Table of contents
1. Activate Open book exam
To activate an open book exam, follow the steps below:
1. Click Create exam or edit an existing exam
2. Turn off the student computer lockdown by clicking the Off button under the "Student computer lockdown" heading (figure 1)
3. Save the exam, lockdown will now be turned off and the exam is now an open book exam
1.1 Allow students to copy and paste from other applications
To allow students to copy and paste from other applications during open book exams, follow the steps below:
1. Turn student computer lockdown off (like in the previous step 1. "Activate Open book exam"), the "Allow students to copy and paste from other applications" feature will appear directly below it
2. Set the "Allow students to copy and paste from other applications" setting to On (figure 1)
3. Save the exam and the "Allow students to copy and paste from other applications" will be activated
2. Create questions for an exam in open book mode
Continue to create your exam by adding questions. For help with how to add questions, follow the guide here.
3. Open book mode from a student's view
Students can access their open book assessment just as they would with any other DigiExam assessment. They will need to enter their credentials into the DigiExam client.
While completing their open book assessment, students will be able to access other web browsers and other applications that are on their computers. The figure below shows a student reading an article on a web browser, using Word to take notes, and completing their assessment on the DigiExam client. When a student has completed their assessment, they click the button hand in and exit just as they would for any other exam.
4. Other ways to use open book mode
Open book mode presents instructors and students with many new opportunities with DigiExam. Here are some ideas how instructors can use open book mode with their students.
1. Students can use the DigiExam client to complete assignments that require outside research or access to other resources. Students can read research articles online and take notes within a word processor, all while completing their assessment in the DigiExam client.
2. Students can use the DigiExam client to complete and submit take-home assignments/assessments.
3. Students can collaborate with their peers through chat applications or discussion boards in order to complete group assignments and projects.
4. Students can take a traditional open book exam in their classroom, where they can view notes or formula sheets throughout the examination.
5. Students can use the results and teacher feedback they received from previous exams or assignments to revise and resubmit their submit.
6. Students can run tools that help meet individualized needs: such as: screen reader software or speech recognition software.